Government constitutes six-member committee to improve Haj policy, look into subsidy issue
- The Union government has formed a six-member committee to study the ways to improve India’s Haj policy and look into the issue of subsidy to the pilgrimage in light of a 2012 Supreme Court order on gradually reducing and abolishing it by 2022.
- The convenor of committee is Afzal Amanullah, former Consul-Consul General of India in Jeddah.
Union Government launches Measles Rubella vaccination campaign
- THE Union Health Ministry on Sunday launched the measles-rubella (MR) vaccination campaign in Bengaluru.
- The campaign against these two diseases will start from five states/UTs Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Goa and Lakshadweep covering nearly 3.6 crore children.
Telangana government launches India’s first social innovation centre
- Telangana government has launched India’s first social innovation centre “Kakatiya Hub for Social Innovation” in Nizamabad.
- The hub is funded by the Telangana government and is expected to be run by September 2017.
- It will function like a rural incubator to encourage entrepreneurship at grassroots level.
Samsung Pay to be launched soon
- South Korean tech giant Samsung is planning to launch its mobile payment wallet in India in the first half of 2017.
- To bring Samsung Pay in India, Samsung has partnered with American Express and is mulling over exploring opportunities with giants such as Visa and MasterCard as well.
- Samsung Pay supports MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission), that allows a user to send a magnetic signal from smartphone to the payment terminal’s card reader.
RBI gives freedom to Banks to fix Bank Service Charges for Transactions
- The Reserve Bank of India has given banks the freedom to fix bank service charges for transactions.
- RBI has deregulated interest rates on credit card dues. Interest rates are determined by banks with the approval of their respective Board of Directors.
Penalty of 100% amount for receiving cash over Rs 3 lakh
- A ban on cash transaction of more than Rs 3 lakh has been proposed in the Budget for 2017-18.
- Revenue secretary Hasmukh Adhia said the receiver will have to pay an amount equivalent to the cash received.
- The government will track all large cash transactions.
Uber launches UberHIRE in 9 Indian cities
- USA-based cab aggregator Uber has now launched ‘UberHIRE’ in nine Indian cities, that will allow users to hire a cab for up to 12 hours.
- UberHIRE is a time-based offering that allows users to make trips punctuated with multiple stop overs.
- Uber’s local rival Ola had launched a similar service ‘Rentals’ last year.
India to host FIBA Women’s Asia Cup in July in Bengaluru
- India will host FIBA Women’s Asia Cup basketball tournament in July.
- This will be the first time since 2009 that India will host a major FIBA (International Basketball Federation) event.
- India has also been given another continental level tournament — the FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship — which will be held from October 22 to 28 in Hyderabad.
International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation: 6 February
- The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation was observed across the world on 6 February 2017.
- The theme for the 2017 International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation is “Building a solid and interactive bridge between Africa and the world to accelerate ending FGM by 2030.”