- Speculation – the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
Synonym– conjecture, rumor, gossip, assumption, guesswork.
Sentence – There was speculation that the election may be preceded by a spell of President’s Rule in the wake of the indefinite economic blockade by the United Naga Council (UNC).
- Reel – lose one’s balance and stagger or lurch violently.
Synonym – lurch, stagger, totter, stumble, wobble.
Sentence – Manipur continues to reel under the effect of shortages of many essential commodities, petrol and cooking gas in particular.
- Dilemma – a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two or more alternatives, especially ones that are equally undesirable.
Synonym – quandary, tight spot, predicament, impasse, problem.
Sentence – This dilemma is visible in the State unit’s muted response to the blockade question.
- Scenario – a written outline of a film, novel, or stage work giving details of the plot and individual scenes.
Synonym – situation, state of affairs, state, picture.
Sentence – Such a scenario is not impossible to think of.
- Opportunity– a time or set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something.
Synonym– chance, occasion, opening, break, prospect.
Sentence– This will also be an opportunity for smaller parties such as the Trinamool Congress to enlist potential winners.
- Nascent – (especially of a process or organization) just coming into existence and beginning to display signs of future potential.
Synonym – budding, promising, emerging, burgeoning, hopeful.
Sentence – its idealism is still too nascent to generate the kind of wave that wins elections.
- Coercive– relating to or using force or threats.
Sentence – the cabinet sitting at midnight on December 8 to defy the UNC’s coercive protest, created two districts.
- Indeed – used to emphasize a statement or response confirming something already suggested; used to introduce a further and stronger or more surprising point.
Synonym – certainly, really, to be sure, without a doubt.
Sentence– the idea is attractive to many parties and indeed to the contender BJP, who is unsure of making this elite 12 will begin looking for greener pastures.
- Enlist – engage (a person or their help or support).
Synonym – join, sign on, enroll, enlist.
Sentence– the company enlisted the help of independent consultants.
- Splinter – break or cause to break into small sharp fragments.
Synonym – particle, piece, fall apart, crack.
Sentence- the soap box splintered as she opened the window.