Arthur Morris inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Australia’s former opening batsman Arthur Morris on 3 January 2017 was inducted into International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Hall of Fame.
- With this, Morris became the 82nd cricketer to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame.
- The Australian cricketer was given the honour posthumously during the first day of the third Test between Pakistan and Australia in Sydney.
Cristiano Ronaldo named Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016
- Ace Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo on 9 January 2017 was honored with the Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016 award in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Ronaldo garnered 34.54% of total votes to grab the title. He beat Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, who scored 26.42% of total votes, and Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann (7.53% of total votes) to the prize.
India wins 2016 SAFF Women’s Championship
- India on 4 January 2017 defeated Bangladesh 3-1 to win the 2016 SAFF Women’s Championship at the Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri, West Bengal.
- With this victory, India won the 4th consecutive SAFF Women’s Championship title.
India beat Pakistan by 9 wickets to win T20 Blind World Cup 2017
- India on 12 February 2017 won the ICC T20 Blind World Cup. In the final clash played at Bengaluru’s M Chinnaswamy stadium, India defeated Pakistan by 9-wickets.
- Successfully defending their title in the T20 Blind World Cup, India achieved the victory target of 198-runs in the 18th over in the final of the tournament.
Mission XI Million launched to promote football among school children
- The Union Government on 10 February 2017 launched the Mission XI Million initiative to promote football among school children.
- The programme was launched by the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel in the presence of the President of the All India Football Federation (AIFF) Praful Patel in New Delhi.
Official Mascot unveiled for FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017
- The Official Mascot of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 was unveiled on 10 February 2017 at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
- The Official Mascot is a clouded leopard calledKheleo. The clouded leopard is a vulnerable wild cat whose habitat extends from the Himalayan foothills to mainland Southeast Asia.
Vijay Goel lays foundation stone for first–ever training center for differently abled sportsmen
- The Union Minister for Sports, Vijay Goel laid the foundation stone of the boundary wall of the first-ever Centre of Excellence for differently-abled sportsmen on 5 February 2017 in Sector-25 in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The government has allotted an estimated amount of Rs 50 Cr for the project. The center is proposed to provide world class facilities
Supreme Court appoints Committee of Administrators headed by Vinod Rai to run BCCI
- The Supreme Court (SC) on 30 January 2017 appointed former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai as the head of four-member Committee of Administrators to run Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- The other three members of the Committee are noted historianRamachandra Guha, former Indian women’s cricket team captain Diana Edulji and IDFC Limited’s Managing Director Vikram Limaye
Saina Nehwal wins 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold
- Saina Nehwal on 22 January 2017 won the 2017 Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold Women’s Singles title.
- Nehwal defeated Thailand’s Pornpawee Chochuwong by a score of 22-20, 22-20 in a 46-minute clash.
Punjab Royals wins Pro Wrestling League Season 2
- NCR Punjab Royals on 19 January 2017 were crowned the champions of the Pro Wrestling League Season 2.
- The Punjab Royals triumphed over Haryana Hammers 5-4 at the K D Jadhav Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.
Eight sports persons get Padma Shri
|Vikasa Gowda||Sports-Discus Throw|
|P R Shreejesh||Sports-Hockey|
PR Sreejesh becomes member of FIH Athletes’ Committee
- The Indian men’s hockey team captain PR Sreejesh on 11 January 2017 became a member of International Hockey Federation (FIH) Athletes’ Committee.
- The nomination of Indian men’s hockey team captain to the FIH Athletes’ Committee was confirmed by the FIH Executive Board.
Gujarat wins 2016-2017 Ranji Trophy
- Gujarat on 14 January 2017 won its maiden Ranji Trophy title. The team defeated Mumbai by five wickets in the final at the Holkar stadium in Indore.
Kohli named captain of the year at ESPNcricinfo awards
- Indian national cricket team captain, Virat Kohli was named the ‘Captain of the Year’ at the 10th annual ESPN cricinfo awards.
BCCI Annual Awards 2015-2016 announced
|Col. CK. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award||Rajinder Goel, Padmakar Shivalkar|
|BCCI Lifetime Achievement Award For Women||Shantha Rangaswamy|
|BCCI Special Award||VV Kumar, Late Ramakant Desai|
|Polly Umrigar Award||Virat Kohli|
|Dilip Sardesai Award (For India’s Best Cricketer in the West Indies Series 2016)||Ravichandran Ashwin|
|Lala Amarnath Award for the Best All-Rounder in the Ranji Trophy 2015-16||Jalaj Saxena of Madhya Pradesh|
|Lala Amarnath Award for the Best All-Rounder in Domestic Limited-Overs Competitions, 2015-16||Axar Patel of Gujarat|
|Madavrao Scindin Award (Highest Scorer in the Ranji Trophy 2015-16)||Shreyas Iyer of Mumbai|
|Madavrao Scindin Award (Highest Wicket-Taker in the Ranji Trophy 2015-16)||Shahbaz Nadeem of Jharkhand|
|M.A. Chidambaram Trophy (Highest scorer in (U-23) Col. CK. Nayudu Trophy 2015-16||Jay. G. Bosta of Mumbai|
|M.A. Chidambaram Trophy (Highest Wicket-Taker in (U-23) Col. CK. Nayudu Trophy 2015-16||Satyajeet Bachhav of Maharashtra|
|NKP Salve Award (Highest Scorer in (U-19) Cooch Behar Trophy in 2015-16||Arman Jaffer of Mumbai|
|NKP Salve Award (Highest Wicket-Taker in (U-19) Cooch Behar Trophy in 2015-16||Ninad Rathva of Baroda|
|Raj Singh Dungarpur Award ( Highest Scorer in (U-16) Vijay Merchant Trophy in 2015-16)||Abhishek Sharma of Punjab|
|Raj Singh Dungarpur Award ( Highest Wicket-Taker in (U-16) Vijay Merchant Trophy in 2015-16)||Abhishek Sharma of Punjab|
|Jagmohan Dalmiyra Award (Best Woman Cricketer (Sr.) of 2015-16)||Mithali Raj of Railways|
|Jagmohan Dalmiyra Award (Best Woman Cricketer (Jr.) of 2015-16)||Deepti Sharma of Uttar Pradesh|
|Best Umpire in Domestic Cricket in 2015-16||Nitin Menon|
|Best performance in BCCI Domestic Tournaments of 2015-16||Mumbai Cricket Association|
Lee Chong Wei wins All England Open Men’s Singles title
- Top-ranked Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia on 12 March 2017 won his fourth All England Open crown.
- Lee defeated first-time finalist Shi Yuqi of China 21-12, 21-10, to grab the Men’s Singles title at the tournament.
Google marks 140 years Test cricket with a playful doodle
- According to history textbooks, the first official cricket test match began on 15 March 1877. It was played between England and Australia at the Melbourne Cricket ground (MCG). Australia won the match by 45 runs after four days of play.
Virat Kohli named Wisden’s Leading Cricketer in the World for 2016
- India’s ace batsman Virat Kohli on 5 April 2017 was named the Leading Cricketer in the World for 2016.
- The announcement was made in the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, which is also often referred to as the ‘Bible of the Cricket.’
P V Sindhu defeats Carolina Marin to win India Open Super Series title
- P V Sindhu on 2 April 2017 defeated reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain to lift her maiden India Open Super Series title.
Tamil Nadu beat India ‘B’ to win Deodhar Trophy
- Tamil Nadu on 29 March 2017 defeated India ‘B’ by 42 runs in the final to clinch the Deodhar Trophy.
- The final of the 50-overs cricket tournament was played at the ACA-VDCA stadium in Vishakhapatnam.
Ravichandran Ashwin receives Garfield Sobers Trophy
- Ravichandran Ashwin on 28 March 2017 was awarded the prestigious Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy in Dharamsala.
- Ashwin was honoured with the trophy for being named the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2016.
Bhubaneswar to host Men’s Hockey World League Final 2017 and Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) and Government of Odisha on 27 March 2017 announced that the Men’s Hockey World League Final 2017 and Hockey Men’s World Cup 2018 will be held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- Bhubaneswar’s Kalinga Stadium will host these two global FIH hockey events.
West Bengal wins 2016-17 Santosh Trophy
- West Bengal on 26 March 2017 lifted the Santosh Trophy for the 32nd time at the GMC Stadium, Bambolim, Goa.
- West Bengal’s Manvir Singh struck in the 119th minute for a 1-0 win over Goa.
- With the win, West Bengal ended a six-year wait having last won the title in 2011. Goa last won the title in the year 2009.
Indian athletes grab 18 medals in Special Olympics World Winter Games
- Special athletes of India won 18 medals so far in the ongoing 2017 Olympics World Winter Games in Austria.
- The medal tally includes six gold, four silver and eight bronze.
Tamil Nadu lifts Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Tamil Nadu on 20 March 2017 won the Vijay Hazare Trophy of Cricket, for the fifth time. In the Final played at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi, they defeated Bengal by 37 runs.
Cheteshwar Pujara plays India’s longest innings
- Indian batsman Cheteshwar Pujara was in news on 19 March 2017 for his marathon knock that lasted for over 11 hours. His 202 off 525 balls in the first innings during the third test-match against Australia at the JSCA Stadium at Ranchi helped the team to take the first innings lead.
- With this, Pujara became first Indian batsman to face 500 balls in an innings. This was his 3rd double century in his Test career.
Sachin Tendulkar appointed as UNICEF Ambassador For ICC Women’s World Cup 2017
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) on 16 March 2017 cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar as the UNICEF Cricket For Good ambassador for the ICC Women’s World Cup 2017.
- The ICC Women’s World Cup 2017 will be hosted in the United Kingdom from 23 June 2017 to 23 July 2017.
Olive Ridley to be mascot of Asian Athletics Championships
- The logo and mascot of the Asian Athletics Championships were released on 8 May 2017. The sea turtle, Olive Ridley was declared the mascot of the Championship. The logo depicts an athlete crossing the finishing line with historical tourist attractions of Odisha.
Nita Ambani made Member of IOC’s Olympic Channel Commission
- Nita Ambani in April 2017 was made a member of two important commissions of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) governing body.
- Ambani was made as a member of the prestigiousOlympic Channel and Olympic Education Commission.
Pankaj Advani defeats Sourav Kothari to win Asian Billiards Championship
- Pankaj Advani on 14 April 2017 defeated Sourav Kothari 6-3 to win the Asian Billiards Championship final held in Chandigarh.
- It is Advani’s seventh Asian title.
Sachin Tendulkar opens Fanatic Sports Museum in Kolkata